Social Media Policies and Best Practices
Common Messaging: Keeping the message straight is a key challenge, this collaborative Google Sheet shares a number of short and specific messages across various hazard and emergency types.
Social Media Examples: wide collection of examplesThis and tools can help you explore innovative ways to engage social media.
Social Media Policy Examples: collection of social media policies This is a good place to start in developing a policy, or to review for updating existing policies.
- US Agencies: Office of Personnel Management Guidance
- Englewood, CO Policy Page
- Colorado Public Records and Social Media Whitepaper
Pew Internet Use Research:fact sheets Pew periodically surveys American on their internet and social media use. These can help understand who your audience may be.
Social Media Analysis
Social Network Analysis (SNA): A strength of Twitter is its open data, several tools can help you map out conversations on Twitter. But other networks can also be explored. Tools include:
- Socviz: An open source tool for quickly mapping search terms. Limited to past week and smaller set of users unless upgraded.
- Netlytic: An open source tool that can also integrate with Facebook, Instagram and even raw text data.
- NodeXL: An Excel add on for social media analysis.
Collaborative online mapping can be used to collect data from the public or collaborate among experts to refine data. Some available tools include:
- Ushahidi: This start up guide walks through an install process for using this collaborative web map.
- Crisis Mappers: A collaborative group collecting and distributing spatial data.
Examples from the Field
This video captures some of the Zello traffic of the Cajun Navy during Hurricane Harvey.